Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner at Gaztech
92290868

I have installed a TL9160AR kit with two baseboard heaters.

Customer Question

I have installed a TL9160AR kit with two baseboard heaters. When I power the system, the heat comes on, but if I set the thermostat so that the set temp is lower than ambient, and the thermostat "heat on" icon goes away, the heaters are still generating heat. Any idea what's wrong?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue.If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.NOTE: I can only get paid for assisting you if you click FINISHED and RATE ANSWER after you are satisfied with answer.Are you ready?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still there Luke?
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
I am here.Unless you got a new but defective t-stat, it is most likely a mistake when wiring it up, the manual has really good wiring explanation.You WILL need a voltmeter to determine what wires is are source 240v from breaker panel and review all you wiring connections, you will find the issue this way. As I am not there with you, this become very difficult to give you a direct answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wiring is new (I just installed it). And I know which have line voltage. I put a voltmeter on the load wire from the EIM (red wire) and it is always at line voltage, even when the set point is well below ambient temp.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
OK, are both rads energized after lowering t-stats and what hapens when you turn it to off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both are energized. I haven't seen any "off" feature on this tstat. Seemed odd to me...
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
The chances that you have 2 EIM with internal defective relay is rare but possible, I would still review all configurations setup and confirm wirring
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm powering both rads from one EIM, so I'm thinking it is probably bad.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
It would make sense.I will punch out for now, Let me know what happens.NOTE: I can only get paid for assisting you if you click FINISHED and RATE ANSWER after you are satisfied with answer.Cheers! and have a nice Day..Luke