HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I wanted to replace my Aprilaire 8365 with a Nest

Customer Question

I wanted to replace my Aprilaire 8365 with a Nest thermostat. Heat pump is a Lennox Elite (about 15 years old). There doesn't seem to be power to the thermostat. Is this usual, or is there a fuse to be replaced?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly. Answer: If you mean you do not have constant power to the old one yes it is typical as a lot of thermostats are battery controlled if you have nothing connected to the C terminal. For the Nest you would need to run a C wire to the Nest for constant power. If you do have a C wire to the old unit then check the fuse on the board in the furnace it is likely blown. All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!