Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

How do I fix a Honeywell thermostat that has trouble

Customer Question

How do I fix a Honeywell thermostat that has trouble initiating the actual heating/cooling when in AUTO mode...
The fans remain on blowing room temp air, but the COOL or HEAT does not start..
Only when the thermostat is set from AUTO to ON ... (manual mode) do the COOL / HEAT turn on and acually blow cooled/heated air from the actual AC
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.
Hello, those thermostats are repairable. Replacement is the solution. If you can remove the front part of the thermostat from it sub base that is screwed to the wall you can see which terminals have wires attached, tell me which terminals and what color wires and I can get you a short list of replacements, starting from about $50 I also need to know the model number of the thermostat, that is stamped on the back of the thermostat after you remove if from its sub base, most just press on and you can pry them off... other thermostats have 4 or 5 screws you have to remove to get the thermostat off of it sub base. work on that for a while tell me how its working, we can go from there