Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I'm getting error code 12 on a chimney vented rinnai heater

Customer Question

Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
The 12 error simply indicates flame failure.Does the ignitor spark or anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it lights for a moment and then it shuts the flame off and I get that code.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Looking for a service manual, I have the owners manual but it doesn't show me any troubleshooting.Do you know if it has a flame sensor that proves flame?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm pretty sure it does
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The flame looks good but only last's seconds and then you can tell the gas gets shut off and it stops
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
On wiring diagram it shows flame rods. I suspect that is the sensors. Can you get to them and clean them to make sure there is no carbon buildup preventing from sensing the flame?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure where they are of how to get to them.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I am unable to find service manual so far.Usually they will be a small steel rod with a single wire attaches sticking into flame.Diagram shows a black wire to them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I can't even seem to find a way to open into the access panel, Any diagram would help.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Here is what I have so far.Does not really show breakdown or service instruction but shows wiring. http://www.mediafire.com/download/pieo2scaypc72nj/Rinnai_FS35ETRLC.pdf
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Here is a parts breakdown that should assist in locating the rods.http://www.mediafire.com/download/m6zgykj7pxa3mj4/FS35ETRLC__Parts.pdf
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
They are item 36 in diagram I would start by making sure they are clean.You can clean them with fine sand cloth or emory cloth
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not able to locate them, I believe the only way to get access is to unhook the propane line and also the vent pipe to move the heater out and take the back panel off. Is this how you get access to this heater?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Unable to locate instructions for accessing them just the breakdown.It appears you should be able to remove a panel to get in there to them but not sure exactly which one.I can open to other experts who may have dismantled and serviced one of these if you would like.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would help, I need to know how to access this heater.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
I found the manual you are looking for
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
I can assist you further with your issue.Luke
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I see the expert who has stepped in has no knowledge of how to service the unit, simply posted link to same manual I have already sent you. Please do not rate until you get a helpful answer.You can opt the expert out or request a refund if you would like.Hopefully another expert who has actually worked on these can help you access the rods.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
I will assist you with your issue if you respond