Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

I have a Rheem outdoor unit model RAKA-042 JAZ. The fan

Customer Question

I have a Rheem outdoor unit model RAKA-042 JAZ. The fan motor is going bad (bearing). I went to the Rheem dealer yesterday and bought a Protech Condensor Motor 51-23055-11. The original motor just has 3 wires, a brown, a black and an orange one. The new motor has 5 wires brown, black, purple, orange and yellow. Since I was opening the unit up I went ahead and asked for a new capacitor while I was at it. The new capacitor only has two posts as opposed to the factory capacitor which has three C, H, and F. The fan turns counterclockwise as you look down on it so I tied the brown and yellow wires together and capped them off per the diagram that came with the new motor. I attached the black fan motor to the relay switch and the orange and purple fan motor wires to the new capacitor. I turned the AC on and the compressor kicked in but the fan did not. Should I run the purple and orange fan motor wires to the old capacitor and dump the new one? The old capacitor has an orange wire going back to the relay switch from the C post and a purple wire running from the H post to the condenser.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Just that I will need specific instructions.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 5 months ago.
Let me see if I have a diagram for the new motor.
OK I have the wiring diagram for unit and motor.1.Black will go directly to the contactor2.Brown and Yellow will wire nut together3.Purple will go to one side of your new capacitor4.Orange will go to the other side of your new capacitor5. You will need to run a new wire from either C on the old dual capacitor to the same terminal as purple on new, or directly from the orange on contactor to the terminal on new where you have the purple.Please wait to rate answer until we are finished and have everything working.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I attached the wires like you said in the first example. The fan came on, the house is cooling but the fan is running in reverse. The air is being pulled from the top and is pushing out the sides. What do you suggest? It definitely is a counterclockwise fan as you down on it.
OK if fan is running in reverse change the brown and purple leads. Put the brown to the capacitor and splice the purple to the yellow.Sometimes it is hard to determine rotation as some mnufacturers tag motors shaft end and other s lead end.