Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My gas central heating furnace keeps blowing in the 24v circuit JA:

Customer Question

my gas central heating furnace keeps blowing in the 24v circuit
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I have just about replaced all the components, transformer(240/24v), a very basic printed circuit board (controls fan, gas valve) and wall thermostat (which I blow up) It ran for 4 days without a problem then just stopped (blown 3A fuse)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: No I think I had covered al that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.
Hello, given the work you have done so far, it is about 98% likely that there is an electrical short in one of the 24v circuits that plugs into the printed circuit card...or one of the wires running to it... most common is that a 24v wire has rubbed through its insulation and is intermittently shorting out on the sheet metal where the wire runs through the sheet metal. Look that over, let me know, we can go from there.Please do not forget to rate my work by finding the 'rate your expert' button once we get this resolved, its how I earn a living, otherwise I work at my own expense. rating does not increase your charges.