Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Fedders Ductless Split AC/Heat pump 12K (10 yrs old, but new)

Customer Question

Fedders Ductless Split AC/Heat pump 12K (10 yrs old, but new) works on Automatic, but not Remote, setting. Shows Red light, and the number 16. What is the error?
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also, it is totally unresponsive to remote control, which is new. The old one wouldn't work at all. The new one speaks Celsius, while the wall unit speaks Fahrenheit. I asked about that when I bought it, and was assured it would function.
Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.
Hello, tell me where you bought it and clarify if it is actually a new unit, but built 10 years ago and never installed. Or if its 10 years old. Fedders is a minority brand, with maybe 1/2 of 1% of the market, buying parts for it or finding technical data on it, is not like buying parts for a ford or chevy car... its like finding parts for something made in north korea more or less.... if it works without the remote now, by the control panel on the inside unit, you might be well advised to just use it that way. Let me know if you would like to keep going on this or not by rating my advice so far.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Phil. Yes, brand new and installed last week. It has been stored in the box until then. I bought it from an online dealer in 2006 or 07, but don't recall the business. I bought 2 - one Soleus & one Fedders. I believe it is one of the first of it's kind. I sent pictures last night too, but I don't know if they got to you.When it was installed last week, I put batteries in the remote and it did not function. I spent hours finding one to work with the machine, and ordered it. It seems to work fine. I keep thinking that it might be something mis-wired. I can send pictures of the wiring on the machine if that would help.Frankly, using it "as it is" is something I could figure out by myself. I mean, that's how I'm doing it now. I joined this Fixya thing to try to find out how to FIX it. I'm hoping you can come up with an alternate answer with a bit more info?
Thank you.