BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I just purchased a Honeywell electric heat thermostat

Customer Question

hello I just purchased a Honeywell electric heat thermostat hat goes in the electric supply line for 240v I was wondering what the correct way to wire thermostat would be
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 months ago.
Hello, How many wires at the thermostat?, what color, and what were they hooked to before?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am running a 12-3 wire from the breaker box to the fan motor on the heat exchanger
is the fan motor 120v or 220v?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
220v
I apologize....but did you get my response of drawing a sketch if you had a moment?
see attached...ask any questions you need
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didn't get the response. I guess my main concern is that being a 220v system I have two live wires going to the motor and in the diagram they have on the box is for a 110v system
The unit is used for 220v also but only breaks one leg.The 410b breaks both legs. You have the choice to wire for 220v with the thermosat only breaking one leg...or to buy a 4 wire thermostat line volt http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/billyjr1961/ed6948ae-e5e7-4cc1-a8aa-a8766d058a75_220v+thermostat.png
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok so then I m just breaking the one leg and the other hot wire is hooked up to the motor direct
correct. This is the same thing as the ac units having a one pole contactor... One hot direct..one hot broke through thermostat
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok and I did notice that the motor turns backwards to the the way I want now I can reverse the polarity by switching the connects inside the control box of the motor
Yes...sounds like you have it under control...just rate service at top of page and I will move off active list. Billy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you very much!
You are very welcome. Thank you, Billy