Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Bryant plus 90 only blowing cold air. Thermostat set to auto

Customer Question

Bryant plus 90 only blowing cold air. Thermostat set to auto and pilot light is lit. Checked filter which husband apparently hasn't changed for some time from the looks of it. Got a bit cool last night, tried to turn the furnace on but it only blows cold air. Shut furnace off right away deciding to troubleshoot this morning. Have not checked for error code. My question is this: do you think a simple filter replacement will fix this issue or based on what I've stated should I just call tor hvac?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.Yes replacing the filter could solve this problem. What you describe usually happens when the heat exchanger gets too hot, in this case likely due to poor air flow caused by a dirty filter. If the furnace doesn't fire up after you replace the filter then further troubleshooting will be required.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What further troubleshootin steps should I try before making the call?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
You also need to check the rollout switches (see attached pic for typical). They are located just outside the burner chamber. If you push the button between the 2 wires and it clicks you have reset it. Beyond that a multi meter will be required to do further testing. When you replace the filter be sure the blower compartment door/panel is securely in place. There is a plunger type switch behind the panel that is pushed in when the panel is properly in place. If it's not properly in place no power will go to the unit.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Here's the rollout pic
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am going to try what you have suggested and will get back to you soon.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Ok. I'll respond as soon as I can if you have any follow up questions.