Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

You can tell me why my Master Cool squeals. It is not the bearings. We've changed o

Customer Question

You can tell me why my Master Cool squeals. It is not the bearings. We've changed out the water pump, the resircullation pump and the motor. How do I answer you? I know it's not the bearings because when I switch from cool to vent the noise stops.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue.

If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

NOTE: I can only get paid for assisting you if you click FINISHED and RATE ANSWER after you are satisfied with answer.

Are you ready?

Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

Is the indoor fan speed the same on vent and cool?

If yes then the squealing is probably be caused by the refrigerant passing through the indoor coil when there it a call for cool.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Since this is a swamp or evaporative cooler and not an air conditioner, your answer is not relevant
Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

How about make and model number of equipment

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Model # ***** CAT
Serial # *****
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

Hello, maybe I can help. I am 75 years old with 55 years using the tools fixing these sorts of things.

My first guess or assumption however is not always on the right track, that is the nature of trouble shooting. The model number you gave is not checking, Tell me if the blower is a belt drive unit or not. (virtually all are belt drive)

About the only thing that squeals on these is the belt drive, when you put it on vent the pressure on the belt is reduced so is less prone to squealing.

The belt should have no more than 1" slack in it, ideally about half and inch. If that is OK and the belt still slips, then inspect the sheaves for wear, if the sheaves are worn the belt will slip.

Do not over tighten the V belt drive, too much pressure on the blowers sleeve bearings will ruin them, especially on older coolers.

You can buy a can of 'belt dressing' at any auto parts supply, a quick shot of that onto the belt with the motor running will fix most situations if the belt is not too loose.

Look all that over, tell me if this makes any sense on your end or not, we can go from here without a time limit.

Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

Hello again, were you able to find the V belt drive? Be sure to open panels on each side of the cooler to see it, if you open the side with only blower inlet you will not see the belt drive.