Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.

I asked about wiring an iDevices thermostat in place of a Baystat 239

Customer Question

I asked about wiring an iDevices thermostat in place of a Baystat 239 w/heat pump. All I was told was that the brown wire does not need to be connected. I offered to send pictures of the wiring but got no response. Now I see the question is closed. The new thermostat is still not cooling.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly. Yes please send a picture you may not need to connect that wire just let me know.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I send you pictures?
Just send it using the paperclip attachment
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Figured it out …
The brown wire on the old one should go to the C on the new one, do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes … I was told the brown wasn't used … you sure?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the brown connected along with the blue that is going to C?
It may not be used if the Blue wire is an additional C wire....looking at your old wiring the Blue wire appears to be another Common lead for the transformer, so you could leave it capped off correct. You could verify with a volt meter 24 Volts AC across the Red to Blue if you have that there then yes leave the Brown Capped off. All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have the new stat installed. Heat has been working fine. AC does not cool but is putting out heat still. Red to blue = 29 volts; red to brown = 17 volts