BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Outside compressor blowing cool air. Inside temp set at 70

Customer Question

Outside compressor blowing cool air. Inside temp set at 70 on thermostat but won't go below 72. It has been in the mid 70's outside. The temp at vent outlet is 62?
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: As I stated earlier the outside compressor is blowing cool air. The thermostat is set at 70 but inside temp won't go below 72. I have measured the air temp at a vent outlet and is 62. Also it has been in the mid 70's the last few days
JA: Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: nothing else
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 8 months ago.
hello, My name is Billy. If you feel the 2 pipes from the outdoor ac (ones is insulated with black rubber) are they the same temp?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes
Thank you....this means one of 2 things. Either the compressor is not running (but the fan is)or you are out of freon.The insulated pipe should be cool/cold and damp. The smaller line should be warm. Are you willing to check a few things in the 220v circuit?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
probably not but how can I tell if just the fan and or both are running?
the compressor vibrates/hums.....but we can eliminate some things electrically..... example - if the compressor is getting proper power but not pumping... I am hoping we just have a bad capacitor...if you could remove outdoor cover and post a pic of the electrical section we can check
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
can't do that now but will later. Thank You
Ok, the short story is you either have a simple bad capacitor ($25) or loss of freon ($300+) or worse a bad compressor. I could possbly tell by sight when you can post a pic. I wish you the best Billy