Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Is this a live person? JA: I'm the HVAC Technician's Assistant.

Customer Question

hi! is this a live person?
JA: I'm the HVAC Technician's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: ok
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: i have a Goodman AC unit with a rusted drain pan that i need to find a replacement of.
JA: Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no the unit works fine, water just drips out of the sides of it because of the holes.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!What kind of unit is this? Make and full model number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
􀀁Air Cooled Central Air Conditioning
􀀁Goodman
System Description: 􀀁Manufacturer Date: 1999 􀀁Approximate Age (in years): 16 􀀁Model # *****
1A 􀀁Serial #(###) ###-####􀀁Air Filter Size: 20x20x1
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
So your air handler is leaking water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the metal drain pan inside the unit that is in my basement has rusted through and is leaking water down the sides of it, since the water is not going through the tube to the condensate pump as it should be.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, that will mean you will need to replace the coil. Can you give me full model number for air handler?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is from my home inspection:
Energy Source: 􀀁Electricity
System Type: 􀀁Air Cooled Central Air Conditionin
Other Components: 􀀁Air Handler/Fan(s)
System Manufacturer: 􀀁Goodman
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
The CK36 is the model number for outdoor unit. If I'm going to help you find coil for indoor unit, I will need that full model number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay here are the notes my HVAC tech gave me on the unit:
MPC020(###) ###-####
2/26/199913 x 19 3/4 x 2 1/2
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Is this a package unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not believe so. The furnace is gas and was replaced separately back in February. I have 2 fujitsu ductless heat pumps in my upstairs, but the drain pan is just for the AC unit.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
So you have a gas furnace then, and above that is where the leak comes from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, exactly. The coils that are on top of the pan are working just fine - no sign of leaks. it's just the drain pan that needs replacing. if they need to be replaced together that is fine, as that is a more affordable option than replacing the entire AC unit.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Typically on coils, the drain pan is not available as a separate piece. You would need to install a new indoor coil. Coils are not that expensive. Typically $250-300.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Have your technician order a coil of the same size and tonnage to the existing one and then replace.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you find the replacement that is needed online for me? or at least give me the info I need in order to find it myself?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
I need:1) length, depth, and width of plenum2) type of refrigerant
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
The plenum is the sheet metal "box" that the coil sits inside. Somewhere on the tag of outdoor unit, it should say "R22" or R410A". This is the refrigerant type.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Then you can go online and find a coil for your unit given the dimensions and refrigerant type. You say outdoor condenser model is CK36. This is a 3 ton, so you would look for a 3 ton coil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my tech measured the pan as this:
13 x 19 3/4 x 2 1/2
refrigerant is R22
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
While you get this information, I have to step away for about 45 min, but will be happy to address any questions when I return.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Pan size is OK, but what I really need is the dimensions of the plenum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Those are the only numbers I was given. I'll have to recheck with him.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Or just go down there with a tape measure and measure how wide, how deep and how high plenum is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to when I get home.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, sounds good.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Any luck on the measurements, yet?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any more questions.