D.E. Anderson
D.E. Anderson, Industrial Refrigeration Service Manager
Experience:  15 years experience. Design, install, service of residential & commercial hvac/r equip.

Purchased and installed 3 Fedders mini splits w/heat pumps

Customer Question

purchased and installed 3 Fedders mini splits w/heat pumps 24,000 btu 3 years ago. 2 still working fine but one failed within 1yr and no parts or support as Fedders went out of business.
Error indicates communication but local HVAC owner bypased with known good wire set and no help. Done the turn off for 5 minutes to reset code and no help. I would buy both boards and install but can,t get them!
Will a pair of boards from other brand (Fujitsu) wire in and supply the inverter voltages?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly. You can not use other boards for it, however could you send me a picture of the boards that are bad in your unit?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the unit is a difficult access but possible. couple days probably as rain delay. I am maint specialist with scr speed control experience on dc motors so worst case i want to power all 3 components at full voltage and just run on/off wired to any thermostat controlled relay/contactor. I need to know the full voltage for the compressor and "form". I'm guessing a square wave chopper circuit and transformer to get the dc variable speed functions but now they call them inverters and I'm trained in the 70s and '80s. I'm not willing to scrap a fresh compressor, condensor, fan, and inside unit just because
an error won't power the components. I'm asking you to help me bypass those obsolete boards. help!
Expert:  D.E. Anderson replied 5 months ago.
Hi I'm gonna try to help you out. Can you get me the model and the serial of the unit and the compressor and if possible the wiring diagram? The terms inverter and variable frequency drive seems to be used interchangeably these days. I worked on a Mitsubishi VFD today that was labeled an inverter. The function is still the same.