Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My Rheem water heater will not stay lit. I can get the pilot

Customer Question

My Rheem water heater will not stay lit. I can get the pilot light lit and then I can turn on the main gas burn. Both work for about 10 minutes and then the main burner and pilot go completely out. This Rheem water heater is only about a year and a half old.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!Have you tried replacing the thermocouple? This typically happens when you have a weak thermocouple.