Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.

I'm not at home right now I do have a train furnace, and the

Customer Question

I'm not at home right now I do have a train furnace, and the thermostat that was installed with it is reading error 26, and the heat is not coming on even though the furnace seems warm as if it is trying to work. Can you tell me what error 26 means
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 5 months ago.
Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help! Error code 26 on a Trane system with a Trane thermostat indicates a high temperature limit fault. This means the furnace fired (hence being warm) and the operating temperature got too high and tripped out. This can be cause by many things: A dirty air filter is the most common cause; A failed blower or blower motor; A very dirty A-coil for cooling will cause this (if equipped with cooling); A relay or control board issue; A failed blower motor capacitor; A failing variable speed motor drive (control on end of a variable speed motor). These are the most common cause of a high temperature limit trip and fault. Let me know if you have further questions on this subject. Otherwise, please remember to rate before leaving (3 stars or higher please!). Bonuses are always appreciated! Thanks for allowing me to help and thanks for using Just Answer!Thank you,Brian