BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

I recently bought a Trane Heat PumpXR14 with a GAM5 air handler....2

Customer Question

I recently bought a Trane Heat PumpXR14 with a GAM5 air handler....2 ton. The problem is that I cannot locate the right size filter for the air handler. Here's the model number:
GAM5BOA24M21EAA ...installed July, 2015....HELP
Mike Altman
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly. Answer: Can you see where the filter goes, that should be around a 18X20 filter for that unit.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 months ago.
Hello, My name is Billy. Since I am a Trane dealer I have the information you need.This unit came without a filter rack installed so the filter is field installed as an attachment to the air handler. But in the manual of product data the recommended filter size is 16X20X1. This unit is configured fr bottom or side return air so the filter was installed next to the unit depending on poise. If you take a picture of the unit I can direct. Billy
Yes normally they may go with an 18X20 the unit is 17.5X21 so it really depends on who installed it to determine what filter is the correct size.
As The manual states it is 16x20x1.What is the size you currently have? Billy, Trane Dealer