Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a model RTH230B. I tried changing the batteries when

Customer Question

I have a model RTH230B. I tried changing the batteries when the warning icon went on. I believe I put the thermostat on off, but I'm not sure. I put the new batteries in, but the screen remains blank, indicating, I that the thermostat is not working. No heat is coming up in my house.
If I didn't put the thermostat on off, could I have ruined it? Are there steps to take to make it function, or do I need a new thermostat?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.Not turning the thermostat off is not likely to cause any damage. There's a chance putting the batteries in backwards might. But most likely the problem is related to your heating equipment assuming there wasn't a problem with the thermostat before you replaced the batteries. What do you have for heating equipment? brand and model please?