Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

The weather where I live is hot during the day & cool at night.

Customer Question

The weather where I live is hot during the day & cool at night. Neither my heater nor central A/C will come on. All I get are clicks & a buzzing sound. The A/C fan outside will run. My thermostat won't turn off & on, either; no matter what setting is on, I get the clicks & buzz. I can hear it trying to come on, then stop. What could it be?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.
Hello, that complex of symptoms is self contradictory... pointing to a bad printed circuit card, and at the same time a problem with the power wiring to the compressor. Tell me a lot about your technical background please so that I can coach you most effectively, however that combination of symptoms will not be easy for even a well trained home owner to sort out. My best advice so far is to call in a local well qualified and well rated service company. If you can tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city I can see who is available in your area with good ratings and history in the business. We can go from there.