Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have the old-fashoined Solar water heater and a Rheem Heat

Customer Question

We have the old-fashoined Solar water heater and a Rheem Heat Pump as our backup.
Recent;y, my storage tank kept overflowing and we started to lose heat in our hot water supply. The plumber replaced the overflow valve. No change in our loss of heat in our hot water. On cloudy days, we do not have any hot water. Do we need to replace our heat pump again? We did about ten years ago.
Thanks! :?))
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 9 months ago.
If the storage tank is over flowing it is likely that there is no expansion tank in the system or the one you have has a broken diaphragm or has lost its 25 psig air charge. these cost about $125 and are easy to replace. Regarding the heat pump at age 10 it could very well need to be replaced, if you need help finding a plumber familiar with that sort of system tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and I will see what I can do for you.
Expert:  Phil replied 9 months ago.
Click here for pictures of typical expansion tanks. Tell me a lot about your technical skills sets I might be able to coach your further.