airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a gas Raypak pool heater and it keeps melting the wires

Customer Question

I have a gas Raypak pool heater and it keeps melting the wires that go to the pressure switch and temp sensors. They are routed correctly but there seems to be too much heat in that area where the wires come through the front housing into the area where they connect to the switch and sensors.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 months ago.
Can you upload a photo and do you have an amp meter to check the actual amperage on the wires? Usually if wires are melting, they are touching something they should not or the amperage is too high for wire size.
Also what is model on heater?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
P-m266a. They are melting due to heat coming up from the burnets
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Burners I meant
Is the unit set up to match the fuel type (Propane/Natural)?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes natural gS
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Gas
D you have any flame roll out or indications of a blocked heat exchanger that would make it burn hotter? And how about vent? Does this one have the little vent assist motor and if so does it appear to be working properly?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also the water tempeture coming out in the pool isn't very hot. The water right now is 77 In the pool but I recall feeling a big difference in the water tempeture returning to the pool in prior years when I've used the heater
Do you notice any difference in flame characteristic from past
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No vent assist motor but it does seem to be running hot yet the water returning to the pool is not much different from the current pool temp.. I did have a big pack rat nest under the burnets that was cleaned out
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Don't recall flame issue but never recall the extensive heat in the areas where the wires are melting due to the heat
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have hat rats chew wires in the past put never saw them burned as well
Do you have access to a manometer or gas pressure tester to check inlet and outlet side if gas valve during operation?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Did you read my texts regarding water temp
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It seems maybe the water is really not heating up
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yet there's a lot of heat
Are you sure you do not have one of these . Yes I see that.It seems we are getting heat where we should not rather than where e need it.That is why I question the little vent motor
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where is it located
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I don't have one
Should be in same compartment where air switch and burners are
I have seen those little blower wheels deteriorate and cause unit to run to hot as exhaust not properly draw out
Any possibility of blockage in the actual vent pipe?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No blockage I have the side cover off where the water enters the heater where the switches are
Here is a better pic of location, but if you don't have one, not sure what to check next.I can open to other experts to see if they have ideas
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I surely don't have a blower
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What gets block to not allow the water to heat up when you do have a lot of jeat
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Heat
Usually heat exchanger or vent is the issue when we are overheating.Could also prevent proper heating of water if heat is escaping from heat exchanger.Have you examined the heat exchanger itself for rust or cracks?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No how do you Check it
You can do a visual by removing burners and shining a light into chamber.There is also a test called a smoke but you would need a pro to do that.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok just turned off the heater and I took the top off where the vent is and the coils on top I can touch like very little heat is actually coming up to the vent
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's like all the heat is below and that's why it's escaping to the side where the wires are
I am suspecting a heat exchanger issue.Not venting ,but escaping inside.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I guess I will tear it apart and see what I find. Thanks for your help
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does the exchanger come out from the top side or front
Usually from the front.After removing burners, gas valve etc, there are usually several screws around perimeter hold it in.Can you upload a picture of unit?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let me know if you get the photo
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I see burning on the label inside so there's too much heat
I am pretty sure you have a bad het exchanger. This is a pretty big job and may prove more practical to replace heater rather than heat exchanger. All of the burners, gas valve,etc will have to come off, them remove screws on panel just to look at heat exchanger
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I can see it's a job plus the heat exchangers are not cheap. I'm sure I can do it.. Just not sure at this point if the cost will justify it. Will tear it apart to make sure there's nothing else. I have the day off so I'll go exploring. Thanks for the help
If you have further questions, please let me know.Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.To rate answer, please select one of the stars below.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks I will later in the day... Gas line if out and I'm working on bunkers and front plate
Look forward to hearing back. Send pics of heat exchanger once you get to it.