Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.

Have a Carrier Weathermaker 9200, model 58MXA100-20. Thermostat

Customer Question

Hi. Have a Carrier Weathermaker 9200, model 58MXA100-20. Thermostat went dead and unit stopped working. Found blown 3 amp fuse on the circuit board (HK42FZ013). Stepdown transformer was hot and smelled a little burnt so turned everything off. Replaced transformer without success. Changed circuit board as we had a spare, new board HK42FZ034. Turned everything on, jumped out for the self test, all good. hooked up thermostat wires, turned power back on. Had thermostat call for Cool and everything shut off again, blown fuse, just before thermostat went dead saw E2 code. looked around for a short in the thermostat wires but couldn't find anything, but didn't go crazy. Any ideas?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly. Answer: You need to disconnect the thermostat wires and directly connect the R to W for heat or R to Y for cooling at the board and see if it blows, if not then you have a thermostat wiring issue for sure can you do that? Also check the wiring at the outside unit mainly at the contactor for anything burned or shorted a the outside unit as that will cause that issue as well. Let me know what you find, also I am HVAC GURU so if another tech responds just ask to deal with me. Thanks All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!