Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

We have a Noritz RC-7649 tankless water heater, installed about

Customer Question

We have a Noritz RC-7649 tankless water heater, installed about three and a half years ago. It has worked well until the last couple of days, when it started cutting out and flashing error code 14. I've been able to get it re-started and have normal hot water a couple of times, but it keeps cutting out. Right now I can't get it to stay on its temperature setting; it goes back to error code 14 after flashing its temperature setting, and we have no hot water.
I did change the filter last week, but the heater worked fine until a couple of days ago. So I doubt that the problem is the filter, unless the 14 error code is about the filter.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
Error 14 means that the thermal fuse has failed or is playing up, it can also mean that the heat exchanger is getting blocked with scale etc and needs flushing. I'm having problems getting any supplier of parts even Noritz only list the remote for your model.