Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

WHAT ARE THE CUTIN-OUT PRESSURES OF TECUMSEH 84206-1 AND

Customer Question

WHAT ARE THE CUTIN-OUT PRESSURES OF TECUMSEH 84206-1 AND 84206-2 PRESSURE SWITCH? AND WHERE CAN I PURCHASE?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.
Hello, the cut in and cut out pressures on that controller depend entirely the application, air conditioning systems will have much different cut in and cut out pressures than a walk in box storing vegetables. These systems can come with 4 or 5 different refrigerants and each runs in different temperature and pressure ranges...I need to know about that. Tecumseh is a compressor manufacturer and has never made any sort of pressure controls... look for a pressure control with a Ranco, Johnson Controls or Penn logo on it...tecumseh very often mounts those on their condensing units. tell me what you can find.http://screencast.com/t/lpAxPlVJ if you can send me some pictures of the controls taken from about 10 feet away so that I can see the context in which the control is operating that will be helpful as well. We can go from there
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I FOUND THE SWITCHES WITH CUTIN CUTOUTS TECUMSEH 84096-1 230-135 AND TECUMSEH 84096-2 225-195. THANKS FOR LOOKING. I USED YOUR TIME AND AM HAPPY TO PAY. THANKS
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** to beg your pardon, I had pressure switch on the brain, not fan control. The cut in and cut out preset pressures will vary depending on the refrigerant used in the system. If you can tell me which refrigerant is being used I can be more specific, refrigerant R-22 or R-410a most likely.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
R22
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.
Hello again, the 840962 switch you found would work, (even though its not the one you mentioned earlier 84206-1) that one is listed in your reference with higher cut-in and cut-out pressures than I would have preferred http://screencast.com/t/K5W2VtGmpLU The situation with these sorts of parts is that they are universally made by parts vendors, not the HVAC unit or compressor manufacturers (its pressure transducer semi conductor technology, a specialty). If you can tell me what problem you are working on I will be better able to help you with this situation.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
TECUMSAH CONDENSER UNIT (ATTACHED) HAD FAN #2 THAT DID NOT OPERATE. MOTOR LOOKED PRETTY BAD, SO REPLACED IT. STILL DID NOT OPERATE. AM NOT ABLE TO GET ELECTRICAL CURRENT FROM PRESSURE SWITH FOR FAN NUMBER 2, BUT OF COURSE REALLY DON'T KNOW IF CUTIN PRESSURE WAS EVER REACHED , OR INFACT IF THE SWITCH WORKS. NO. 1 FAN PRESSURE SWITCH HAD BEEN REPLACED WITH SENSATA SWITCH 250-170. THOUGHT IT WOULD JUST BE BEST TO REPLACE BOTH ORIGINAL SWITCHES WHICH WERE 275-195 AND 230-135. SEE ATTACHED
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.
Hello again, your switch selection is in a workable range, however one switch needs to cycle 15 or 20 psig lower than the other, so that the fan motors are staged....there is a good chance that your local refrigeration wholesale house can get both switches, especially if they are a tecumseh dealer. (tecumseh does'nt make them, nor the fan motors, but does list them with tecumseh part numbers... manufacturers do that to force parts sales to themselves rather than the parts manufacturer.). You can test the fan motor by jumpering the switch it is attached to, if the fan still does not run it is most likely bad. You will need a set of refrigeration service gauges to check cut in and cut out pressures... Harbor freight has them for $60 or so. make sure that the hose connectors are 1/4" SAE flare, not some other specification. We can go from there.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thanks for the help
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.
You are welcome, however I work here at my own considerable expense, if you choose to rate my work positively the company will give me a portion of your deposit, its how I earn a living. I will put up the rating box now, look for a 'rate your expert' link then follow the prompts. Thanks!