BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

A heat pump that's not working right JA: Thanks. Can you

Customer Question

A heat pump that's not working right
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes the other day was the first day it was warm for the year. We turn on the cool mode but it didn't seem very cool. And didn't help much. The next day I looked at the fan outside doesn't seem to spin up any more. Now also on heat it doesn't spin up anymore. Today I just poke around it again someone at my work told me to try and push the fan to get it going and I was able to get going. This is on heat mode. It ran and turn off like normal. No I tried it again and the fan is just not able to get going I can hear it hum a few times but doesn't go I wondering if maybe the refrigerant was too low which is why the cooling didn't seem right and then that caused the motor to become damaged?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I noticed also now that the top of the unit outside where the fan is mounted seems very hot to the touch.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 months ago.
Hello, My name is***** sounds like you have a bad capacitor. Follow the wies from the motor. A couple will lead to an oval or round cannister, Replace this cannister with an exact replacement and you should be all set. The capacitor should run less than $50. Billy