Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

Outside unit won't turn on. Inside blower is blowing. No cold

Customer Question

Outside unit won't turn on. Inside blower is blowing. No cold air.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Can't get system to cool house down under 76
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.What have you checked so far on outside unit? Have you checked breaker? Fuses in outside disconnect?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Breaker on. I have not checked outside fuse.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
OK, inside most disconnects there are 2 fuses.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Never done that. Is it inside metal box on wall?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
The disconnect is a black or gray colored box on the outside of house that supplies power to outdoor unit.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
May look similar to this.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
Sometimes the fuses are behind a plastic cover when you open disconnect.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tim, u still there?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Should I turn off breaker and then check outside fuse disconnects?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
You can turn power off at breaker, open disconnect, and look for fuses. If there are 2 fuses, one or both may be blown.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I opened outside box. No fuses, just a big plug thing. I pulled it out, seemed fine. Put it back in.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
OK, could be a thermostat issue or unit could be out on a low pressure switch or something similar. I would need to have some voltage readings to narrow down further.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
If you wanted to troubleshoot further yourself, I would need you to obtain a voltmeter and take some readings for me. There are many possible reasons an outside unit may not start. A couple we have covered already, a tripped breaker or blown fuse. But other reasons might be burned off wiring, a bad thermostat, a unit out on a low pressure switch, etc.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you have additional questions. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any more questions. Remember, you can rate question at any point and still ask more questions (related to the same thing) later on. Experts prefer if you rate question at the end of our first chat.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What are the odds its a bad thermostat? Can I get a good one at Home Depot? What do I look for in a thermostat? Does the thermostat turn the outside unit on and off? Which color wire is the key one for the outside unit? Maybe that wire came loose. Just looking to avoid calling a repaireman.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
It could be a bad thermostat. This is actually very common. Stick with the name brands such as White Rodgers or Honeywell. The blue or yellow colored wire on the Y terminal goes down to your furnace, connects with the board on Y and then goes out to the outside unit from there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That might make more sense. It is only 4 years old. It went bad in October. We din't need it cause the furnace worked all winter. I forgot about it and now that it is hot out, I turned on cooling and remebered that it wasn't cooling and the outside unit wasnt working, only the inside. Now, would it be the thermostat upstairs or the board down on the furnace in the basement that you mentioned? or could it be both? BTW, the thermostat is older, like 8 years old
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
As I said previously, I can't say 100% sure it's a bad thermostat without the voltage readings. But if you wanted to try a new thermostat you can usually get one for under $60.