Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

I replaced a Janitrol HPT18-60 with a Honeywell RTHL2410C &

Customer Question

I replaced a Janitrol HPT18-60 with a Honeywell RTHL2410C & cannot get the cool to work. It keeps tripping the AC circuit (and does not blow very cool for the 1-2 mnutes that it runs(
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!Can you upload a picture of how you have it wired? Or let me know how exactly you wired the new stat as compared to the old?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Janitrol HPT18-60
Y = Yellow
G = Green
R = Red
O = Orange
W2 = White
E = Brown
C = BlueHoneywell RTHL2410C
B = none
O = Orange
G = Green
Y = Yellow
W w/Aux = White
Not Used
R (jumpered to RC) = Red
RC (jumpered to R) = no other wire but the jumperI even attempted to reconnect the Janitrol, but the same problem occurs - AC circuit trips immediately (or will make noise for 1-2 minutes & then trip)
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
Are you saying the outside unit trips the breaker?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I first thought (since I just replaced the t-stat) that it was causing the circuit to trip when I turned them all back on. Apparently that is not the case. After further diagnosis, it appears that my problem is NOT with the t-stat at all. It looks to be a problem with the outside unit. I remove the exterior disconnect & the circuit breaker powers on like normal. I will have to contact a local hvac tech to come and look at the unit.
Thanks for the attempt, but this is beyond what I can do myself.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.
OK, I can certainly understand your decision to bring in a pro.Yes, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.