Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Condenser freezing up causing AC to run continuously. Checked

Customer Question

Condenser freezing up causing AC to run continuously. Checked air flow/ filters , unit is not run when cold outside. We had the coolant checked and that is fine. Unit runs fine just does not keep up with outside temps of 85f or more. Condenser will freeze with pipe freezing from condenser(attic) to compressed unit (outside) . Is the defrost control board something I should check? I guess there is also a (tp?)valve that could be faulty also... Thnx for help . ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Condenser freezing up causing AC to run continuously. Checked air flow/ filters , unit is not run when cold outside. We had the coolant checked and that is fine. Unit runs fine just does not keep up with outside temps of 85f or more. Condenser will freeze with pipe freezing from condenser(attic) to compressed unit (outside) . Is the defrost control board something I should check? I guess there is also a (tp?)valve that could be faulty also... Thnx for help . ***** *****
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Sean replied 7 months ago.
when do you have your refrigerant checked?
Expert:  Sean replied 7 months ago.
^did
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Irrelevant.You are not answering my question it is very clear.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You just"answered" a question with a question....what a joke...
Expert:  Sean replied 7 months ago.
Since I am on a computer I have to use you as my eyes and ears and have to no some history before I start wasting your time checking stuff out. So we will start here since you are talking about a defrost board im guessing you have a heat pump........defrost board should not be causing this problem this sounds like a airflow problem or low on refrigerent which you said has been checked, if you have added refrigerent last summer this is not uncommon for it to leak out but beside the point. Airflow, what kind of filter are you using pleated fiberglass? Depending on what your using you could be creating to much of a restriction of air across coil in attic, you say airflow is good, but did you open up your attic unit and look at the a coil under side to see if you have build up this also can cause a frozen coil. Refrigerent cycle txv valve could have stuck closed or partially open causing lineto freeze. Outside unit clean also could be a factor. Is your blower wheel free of debris if its got alot of build up sometimes does not push enough air across. If you would like to explain more of the history that would be great to knoe other wise I can only guess
Expert:  Sean replied 7 months ago.
Tp valve no clue what your referring too either.
Expert:  Sean replied 7 months ago.
Did that help ?