Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have a basic Braemar ducted gas central heating system for

Customer Question

I have a basic Braemar ducted gas central heating system for a single space. We have an intermittent starting issue. Using the basic thermostat controller I set the temperature for say 23C when the temperature is say 18C and it wont fire, so I bump up the controller to 35C and it sometimes starts. Just now I listened to the unit trying to start (burners starting) but it just stopped. Any ideas?
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the HVAC Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: I've just got out of hospital following surgery so am unable to crawl under the house to check the unit.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Unplug each connector to the printed circuit card one connector at a time, that will burnish the oxide that may be causing the problem. Next tell me how far along the ignition sequence it gets when it fails to fire... that will tell me a lot about whats wrong with it. Stand next to the furnace after the thermostat has been turned off for 5 minutes. Listen intently as someone else turns the thermostat to heat and sets it for 85F.You should hear the small inducer fan start right away.. then a faint click after 1 to3seconds, that is the pressure switch closing.....then in 15to 45 seconds you should hear 2 more faint clicks, that is the ignition relay and gas valve relay closing.....then within 5seconds you should hear the main burner fire..In about 30seconds the main blower should come on. ----------If the main burner goes off after 2 to 5 seconds or within a minute or so tell me about it and the number of seconds involved.Repeat that a few times until you get familiar with the sounds, then tell me in detail how far the sequence goes before it stops. do this listening test a few times until you get familiar with faint clicks and other sounds it makes. We can go from there without a time limit.