Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Lennox furnace and elite air conditioner - The air

Customer Question

I have a Lennox furnace and elite air conditioner - The air conditioner seems to have timed out. It will not turn on when my thermostat calls for it. I could not locate a reset switch on the unit. I tried turning off the circuit, and the thermostat for 30 mins but nothing. i replaced the batteries in the thermostat. I think it has something to do with the condenser.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 months ago.
Do you have a volt meter to troubleshoot .WE need to start by determining if we have high voltage to unit from breaker and that we are getting 24v to unit contactors on call for cool.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am the homeowner. No I do not own a volt meter. Can you tell me where to find the condenser on the unit so I can look for a reset switch?
1. The condenser is the outside unit.2.Locate breaker in main outside panel and see if it is tripped3.We would need a meter to troubleshoot. You can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I took of the corner panel off yesterday and did not see anything that looked like a condenser. Is there another access panel on the unit?
The entire outdoor unit IS the condenser.With panel off tell me if the little plunger appears to be pulled IN on the contactors.If not, using an insulated screwdriver, push plunger in and tell me if outdoor unit coms on.http://i.imgur.com/IDWvQJW.png
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will have to check this when I get home. Can I get back on this question in a few hours? also I have a generator so I have to kill power from that.
Yes just come back to this question when ready.If you could grab a cheap meter on the way home would make troubleshooting very easy without guessing whether we are getting power or not.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks!
Talk to you soon.Hopefully get this resolved for you.