Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have a Rheem air handler that cooling just fine. When it

Customer Question

I have a Rheem air handler that cooling just fine. When it reaches temp, air handler makes noise unless I manually switch it off.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no fan blowing or anything. handler just humming constantly. Air flow not blocked.
filters clean
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.
Hello, it is most likely the 24volt control transformer that you hear humming, they sometimes do that, it is generally not a problem. To determine the source of the noise for sure, remove the top cover on the air handler, or the cover on the end where the air discharge is if it is mounted horizontally. look inside for the control transformer and press on it with the plastic handle of a screw driver.. if that changes the pitch of the sound then you have found the source. click here for pictures, those are about the size of the average fist. We can go from here without a time limit if you rate my work so far positively.