Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I recently had a rheem air handler installed and

Customer Question

***** *****, I recently had a rheem air handler installed and there is a yellow wire coming out the top of the air handler that is not hooked up. What is this for .. Blower high speed ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not really just that there's a yellow wire that comes out of the a/h along with red green blue and white. And the yellow wires not connected.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!If you can upload a picture to the site here, I can help you find what this wire is for.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just went to add files and uploaded 2 pics
Expert:  Tim H. replied 7 months ago.
Are you talking about that yellow and red wire near the float safety switch?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not the red I know it's going through the float but yes the yellow is not hooked to nothing and was told it was for high blower in cooling mode
Expert:  Tim H. replied 7 months ago.
No that should go to the other side of the float safety switch, I believe. See here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes they broke the red (24v) to shut the system off for the overflow instead of breaking the yellow from the thermostat to the condenser to shut off the condenser. I unhooked the red wire that connects to the other side of the float switch. But I want to know what the yellow wire that comes out of the a/h is for I know green= fan , white= heat, red=24v and brown=common.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 7 months ago.
Yellow is typically for Y (cooling), but I can't see back to where that wire starts from the pictures you sent. But it's obvious that that blue wire came loose from the other wire (yellow) to float safety switch.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes i'm not worried about the blue wire or the red wire, the yellow wire that is on the ground is what comes straight out of the top of the air handler along with all the other low voltage thermostat connections I was told the yellow wire should connect to the yellow from the thermostat going to the condenser to turn the blower on high speed during cooling.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 7 months ago.
If I had to guess, the red is probably one of the two wires out to the outside condenser, and the yellow comes form the thermostat from Y (for cooling).
Expert:  Tim H. replied 7 months ago.
No, whoever told you that is wrong. First of all, yellow is not used for high speed fan, black is. And secondly, that yellow wire is too small a guage wire to operate blower.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 7 months ago.
Trace the yellow wire back to where it originates.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 7 months ago.
Did you still need assistance with this?