Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Have a rudd silhouette furnace. I have turned the thermostat

Customer Question

hi..have a rudd silhouette furnace. I have turned the thermostat up so that it will kick on, but it sounds like it is trying and never starts blowing air.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: it typically makes a sound like it is kicking on, and then air starts blowing, but this time the air won't blow and it just shuts off
JA: Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
I'll need the actual model number to help you trouble shoot this. It's on the rating plate inside the burner compartment.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
plus 4 digits 8016
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
That's the gas valve not the furnace model number
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
There should be a tag on the furnace jacket. It's usually on the side inside the burner compartment. It will have the BTU ratings as well as model and serial number
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i dont know how to get the burner door open
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
If you can see the gas valve you already have the burner compartment panel off
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
could you just call me and talk me through it
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Walk you through what? I can't help you if I don't know what you have
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i can see through the door slots but can't get it open. that is how i saw the other number
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
and you are rude
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Sorry if you mistake my being direct for rudeness. I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 6 months ago.
Hello I am a different tech, Can you take the panels off the unit to get at the control board?