Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

We just chatted a few days ago re: our mice issue and you were gre

Customer Question

Hi, we just chatted a few days ago re: our mice issue and you were great! I did post a question, but I'd love to get you back. Question: ALL our window unit A/Cs are stored in the basement, aka ground zero of the mouse infestation. Poops everywhere (lysolled of course or those we can find...looong crawl space where the A/C units are. I am an asthmatic and afraid that these mice have gone into the A/C units, or at the very least, that their bacteria is inside them. Must we ditch the A/Cs? Is there a way to save them? I cannot use bleach. THANK YOU
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 6 months ago.
You should be able to remove the units and clean them with a cleaner specifically designed for cleaning air conditioning coil cleaner and disinfectant such as Microban. See link below:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No can etc.?do. ? I am a cancer patient. This is toxic stuff!
Any other suggestions? Ie; sunlight, Vinegar Etc. And how could one clean an ac unit? Wouldn't it mean entirely dismantling it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Obviously using some other non toxic cleaner. I'm asthmatic as well. No fumes.
You could use a milder coil cleaner such as Nu Cal cleaner if you feel the microban is too strong. Other than that yes just diluted vinegar should do a decent job
You should be able to clean the unit by removing it from it's case.Should not have to completely dismantle
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will white vinegar kill the hanta virus and bacteria in there? I need to be sure it's safe to breathe.
Absolutely.Vinegar is one of the best substitutes for bleach in killing bacteria
Here is an article worth reading:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im sorry. Vinegar (as cited in the article you sent) dors NOT kill hanta virus. The CDC says only a lysol type disinfectant or bleach does the job. I cannot use these. Therefore my ac unit is unuseable. I can't use your answer.