HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

We have a 4 year old Jotel. Top of the line addition. We had

Customer Question

We have a 4 year old Jotel. Top of the line addition. We had our roof replaced last August/September and two months later I noticed rust bleeding through the back and collar. Jotel salesperson here doesn't do anything but sell. The Maine office rep. Couldn't come up with any reason. I tracked it back to the roof replacement. It started raining towards end of job and I remember the roofers leaving fast one day and returning early the next morning and it was still raining a little. When I asked them why they were back in the weather they said they needed to cover the stove pipe up! They left it uncovered all night during heavy rain!!! That's got to be why the paint started pealing and rust coming through! But the worse part is I had it cleaned in January this year and a couple of weeks later I headed to bed, my husband asleep in the next room in his recliner and I noticed a headache starting. I never have headaches. Then I noticed a sort of smoke but not really smoke in the room with the W.S. in it. I woke my husband, we lit a match and it was if there was someone in the stove/stove pipe blowing out! It wasn't even a windy evening! Called the very professional sweep next AM and he came right over and said, What's going on with your stove? It is like its never been cleaned, much less 1 month prior!' We could have died. Period.
We owe the roofer a last payment and there are other issues he neglected so it has taken awhile to get to bottomline. Then this...
I am planning on deducting the cost of a new stove, (as well as some other non wood stove related issues) from what he says we still owe.
Anyway, please weigh in with your opinions on the stove rusting and not staying clean so soon after cleaning. We use our stove to heat our 4200 sq. feet house. Good thing this was a warm winter because after the carbon monoxide issue, we can't use it anymore. My husband is a physician and also knows about scientific things related to production and issuance of gases like carbon monoxide. We are essentially convinced the pipe being left uncovered for who knows how long, thus wetting areas of the stove not ever intended to be gotten wet! Doesn't rain much out here in west Texas, but when it does, it floods so over the time they were up there there is no telling how much it was left open.
Please respond. Thank you, ***** *****
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We're able to read my additional requirements for your help? It was placed in the box for information on the page before the requests for credit card information. It is three questions A. - C. It is very important to this potential issues outcome.
Kathryn
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Photos available if needed. They're only external ones, but if needed I suppose I can use a flashlight for internal pictures?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I need an answer ASAP! Please advise about what I need to obtain help with my issues.
The roofer is putting pressure on me to pay the full amount left on his invoice. I have let him know I am working on the problems that we see as his companies responsibilities as in finding a good resolution for the wood stove emitting carbon monoxide after it was allowed to get wet during his roofing our house. I would be glad to send photos, but I need to hear from you first about you being able to help me.
Kathryn Lind
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 11 months ago.
I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.I just logged on and found you had not been assisted. Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet. If you would like to proceed let me know by replying. Once again use reply
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I still need your help. BIG Time! No, I won't rate you yet.
Please respond ASAP. I'm sending photos of outside of stove, too. Not sure if you need me to try and get inside photos? If you do please let me know.
Thank you.
Kathryn Lind
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The irate one shows a larger area, but have more. Let me know if you need more and/or inside as well.
Thanks *****
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
First - one I meant, but Freud might say 'irate' is correct! I'm irate about my stove getting ruined by a negligent roofer, in my estimation, anyway!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is anyone ever going to contact me about my problems concerning my stove and how the roofers obvious negligence is involved. I need to know if there is anyone, a wood stove expert, someone who understands carbon monoxide leaks, and/or roofing issues. The roofer is pressuring me to make the final payment and I do not intend to do that without some professional advice.
Please respond ASAP. I want help and don't want to have to drop my membership and make a negative response.
Will I hear from you within the next 24 hrs. 9:13 pm CDT.
Thank you,
Kathryn Lind
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I am a different tech HVAC GURU, Yes I see the image you had sent that sure looks like the roofer did not do a good job sealing the exhaust area on the unit. You will likely want to get an attorney involved as you will end up in Small Claims court most likely. To avoid major expenses with legal headaches is the roofer receptive at all to an offer?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know for sure, yet. I was pretty convinced it was due to his not taking care of business in terms of covering the stove's chimney when the roofers left with it raining and then asking why they were back the next morning in the rain. It just occurred to me that they may have left it uncovered for more than the one day/night as they were working several days in intermittent rain. The one day that I noticed them back in the rain and I asked why they were back in those conditions they said to cover the chimney up!!! I would think it should have been covered back up every time they left regardless of the weather conditions anyway!
Then the issue with carbon monoxide leaking and the sweep not understanding why the chimney got so bad in a three week period when I called him the next day. He then came right out and made that statement. Just based on the fact that I noticed my head hurting and the sort-of gas in the air around the stove with it blowing from the pipe/connection area when a match was put in front of an opening?!?!
If the roofing company was smart they would settle with us for the stove and leak that was never covered and then the leaks appeared on that wall requiring a new wrapped beam and new paint.
If you could write something up for me putting the facts, as you understand them, in a concise manner that would help me present the main points to the roofer, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you for finally getting involved and helping with your expertise.
Please respond to my request.
Kathryn Lind
Yes Kathryn I would agree with your statement, it would be best though to contact another reputable roofing company in the area and have them come out and check it out and see what they think as being on site makes a big difference in these cases to see if they may find something really wrong with the work or something they neglected to do. Also I would get a company out to check the stove out and see if they can also write up a report for damage in the stove itself related to the leak. That would be the best ammunition for this case. Now I would say in my professional opinion that the water that was allowed to get into the pipe may have caused a blockage in the unit resulting in a drafting issue on the stove. This can cause irregular temperatures in the flue and could result in the enamel cracking off on the stack.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. The only issue is the company we purchased the stove from will not help. Period. They say they just sell the stoves but not npmaintain it. We had no other options but a big department store. There is a regional rep. in Oklahoma and the store in Maine has tried to help. In fact, they are the ones that at least tried to get us help when all this came up.
As I said, they agreed that there had to be water involved. I haven't contacted them about the most recent issue with the carbon monoxide escaping in the room, but I have made the roofing company about all issues I see as pertinent. Now this is a much more, potentially dangerous issue.
I have all emails printed up from all emails we made and sent to each other.
Any help please let me know ASAP!
Thank you, *****
Kathryn, Can you call a local place that works on them to have them come out and check it out?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will look and then let you know. Please stay available for me and my issue. Thank you.
Kathryn Lind
Yes no problem All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!