HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Trane xr13 heat pump. no low voltage to contactor. wire

Customer Question

Trane xr13 heat pump. no low voltage to contactor. wire from air handler to outside unit shows 24 v at red, orange, and yellow when calling for cooling.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: just sent.
JA: Anything else I can tell the HVAC Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: yes, manually pushing contactor starts compressor and fan in heat mode. System has charge.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. So you see 24 volts at the contactor?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. No low voltage at contactor.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello?
Yes the contactor is in series with the low and high pressure cut out switches on that unit one is likely open and needs to be reset, can you get at them to check them?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes. Please instruct on how to reset them. I see that each has two wires and each connect to the circuit board with the green blinking light in the outside HP.
There should be a press reset button on it and the HIGH PRESSURE cutout has 2 Yellow/RED wires to it.
The low pressure cutout has 2 wires to it which are Orange/Yellow and a Yellow wire. That would be the likely one that is tripped.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. So I am clear. Is the reset button on the circuit board or on the switches themselves where are located on the lines going in and out of the compressor.
The reset should be on the switches themselves and they are located on the outside unit in with the freon lines. All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. I am going to try and reset them and then will report back.
OK if they do not have a reset you will have to check them to see if they are closed with an ohm meter. They should look like this CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. So I open the side panel to the pressure valve and there is a broken wire to the valve. I spliced it, but strangely, it did not solve the problem. Still no low voltage to the contactor. The pressure switch has two wires to it, an orange and blue. Orange is providing power (that wire to ground yields 24 volts), but no power is going through the switch to the blue wire. It is open. There is no reset switch. The coil on the switch is warm. Therte is another two yellow wires that go to a small tube sweated on one of the small lines, not sure if that is also a pressure switch. I have a part number on the pressure switch if you need to look it up. Can that be both high and low in one switch?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also, when I connected the broken wire, the pressure switch made a clicking noise when it got power.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also, when I opened the side panel, there was a black wire, it comes from the circuit board. It is stripped but is not connected to anything. Not sure what that is or why it is not connected. Defroster?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, I googled the pn and what I am thinking is the pressure valve is really the reversing valve. So back to the pressure switches will report back.
OK sounds good it sounds like you are on the right track. All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!