BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I am attempting to connect Nest thermostat. I just moved

Customer Question

I am attempting to connect Nest thermostat.
I just moved into a “new” house which has a Goodman AC unit and a honeywell t-stat. Both have been with the house since construction in ’09.
The previous owner removed his Nest t-stat and replaced it with the original honeywell (current) t-stat.
I’ve noticed one of the circuit breakers labled HEAT, keeps tripping.
The heating and cooling function fine and do not seem to be affected when the breaker trips.
After I removed the faceplate from the honeywell I see the following wire connections (not in order):
y-yellow
g-green
w-white
o-no wire
r-red
r/rc-jumper
b-blue
not connected-brown
c-no wire
The honeywell has batteries and I understand that this means the c/common wire is optional.
Assuming the wires in the wall and the original installer followed industry standards, is it safe to assume the brown wire (not currently connected) is the common wire and that the blue wire (connected to b) is the change over (o/b on nest)?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Sean replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I will be on in a few hours more and we can walk thru this and solve this problem.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 8 months ago.
Hi my name is***** blue wire is not to be attached to B. Remove and try system,Respond with result, Billy
Expert:  Sean replied 8 months ago.
Alright im here to help, lets solve this.