Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner at Gaztech
92290868

Douglas, the screen on my Honeywell thermostat went blank.

Customer Question

Hi Douglas, the screen on my Honeywell thermostat went blank. One of the batteries was corroded. I changed them and that did not work. Then I realized the battery contact itself is corroded. The unit is okay and works with another plate from the house (I think). Do/can I replace the bad screen?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue.If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation. What model t-stat do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure. Might be TH8321U
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
There is a 2 year warranty for those t-stat, non repairable units, parts are not sold separately
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're past the 2 years. Are you saying it needs to be replaced? What exactly needs to be replaced?
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
You said it had a bad screen...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Go back and read my question. The contacts for the battery are corroded. Can that be fixed? If not, what exactly needs to be replaced?
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
" Do/can I replace the bad screen?" what does this mean??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know if the battery contacts will work if clean or repaired. If not, what exactly do I need to replace? The whole thermostat?
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
If you can expose enough non corroded metal to add solder or even foil paper to make good contact
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
good contact to battery poles
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
If you can post a clear picture of contacts I would be in a better position to confirm your next step..Can you do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This really didn't answer my questions.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
If you clean the contacts and it still has good metal to make contact to battery than it should be fine, if it doesnt work you will have to replace it with a new thermostat.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 year ago.
like I said a picture is worth a thousand words.