Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question

***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a programmable thermostat and tried to override since I was home today and cannot get the furnace to kick on. I tried air and it works
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.There's a good chance the problem is with the furnace not the thermostat. In order to rule out the thermostat the thermostat wires that are connected to the R & W terminals need to be connected together. Best to turn the power to the furnace off first then connect the (usually red & white) wires together then turn the furnace power back on. If the furnace still doesn't start up then it's not a thermostat problem
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This did not work
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Ok, so your problem is with the furnace (maybe the thermostat wiring)not the thermostat. What is the brand and model number of the furnace?