Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I'm ***** *****, my boiler stopped working, I hit the

Customer Question

Hello I'm ***** *****, my boiler stopped working, I hit the reset button twice, no flame. Then I bled it, as soon as I opened it up the boiler kicked on, but it's puting (flickering on and off). I checked the oil tank, there's 30 gallons of oil in there. What do I do now. Thank you in advance!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's all, the boiler flame is flickering, it's a white flame though. It won't stay on.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.Sounds like you have a fuel flow problem. Most likely you're drawing sludge into the oil line because the oil level in the tank is so low. There's also a chance you have air in the line. When you opened the bleeder did you get a steady flow or was there air (foam, bubbles) in the flow? If there was then try bleeding it again. If not you may need to change the filter at least. More oil in the tank would also help.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
There is an additional charge for a call. I'll post a phone call offer accept it if you want me to call you or we can continue here if you like
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I really don't need to talk, I got 150 gallons of oil delivered this morning, I let it sit for about 2 hours. I went to bleed it, I had to keep the reset button pushed down for the oil to come out, but the boiler never came on...what now?...
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
You opened the bleeder and got a steady stream of oil, no air/bubbles?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Ok, what happened after you closed the bleeder then hit the reset button?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I made a mistake and didn't close it all the way, when I hit the reset button oil came out, but after I closed it and hit it again it didn't do anything.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Ok try holding the reset button down for 30 seconds if it's a Honeywell ignition control
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, it's Honeywell.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Ok, try holding the button down for 30 seconds
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I held it for 30 seconds and it didn't do anything. Then I bled it again after that I hit the reset again it came on, but didn't stay on.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Are you bleeding it with the burner motor running?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
You have to bleed it with the motor running. So open the bleeder and hit the reset. It will come out under pressure so be prepared to catch it in a container. You must get a steady clear stream (no bubbles) before you can close the bleeder.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry, the motor was running when I did it the first time, the oil wouldn't come out unless the motor was running. I did it again and it did the same thing.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Ok, so you purged the line with the motor running then hit the reset button and the burner didn't fire up. So you could have a clogged nozzle, electrodes that are out of spec or a weak ignition transformer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It fired up, but went off when I took my finger off the reset button.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
When I say fired up I mean the oil ignited not just the motor ran. If we're on the same page then you probably have a bad ignition control since the burner should not run while you're holding the button down.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The fire came on, I literally seen and heard the boiler come on.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Ok, like I said before the burner shouldn't run if you're holding the button down. In fact it should stop if it's running and you press the button.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay, forgive me for not understanding. So it's probably something inside the transformer.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Based on your description (burner will only run if you hold down the reset button) it's likely you have a bad ignition control (what the button is attached to).
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would I need a professional to fix that?
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Yes probably best to leave this to a pro.