Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I JUST INSTALLED A NEW CR32K6E-PFV-875 COMPRESSOR, A NEW SUCTION

Customer Question

I JUST INSTALLED A NEW CR32K6E-PFV-875 COMPRESSOR, A NEW SUCTION DRYER, AND HI SIDE DRYER. I EVACUATED THE SYSTEM FOR 90 MINUTES.CHARGED THE SYSTEM, WITH FRESH R22, SUCTION LINE FROM EVAPORATOR TO CONDENSER IS COLD & SWEATING AT THE CONDENSING UNIT, MY SUCTION GAUGE READS 70 PSI, HI SIDE READS 55 PSI. ( AN EARLIER REPAIR TECH HAD ADDED A INLINE HI SIDE SERVICE VALVE ON THE EXIT SIDE OF THE CONDENSING COIL. THINKING I POSSIBLY HAD A BAD HI SIDE HOSE I REPLACED THE HOSE AND TESTED THE PRESSURE AT THE ADDED SERVICE PORT WITH THE SAME RESULTS. THE OLD COMPRESSOR RAN FINE NO NOISE JUST VERY LOW SUCTION. COULD THIS POSSIBLY BE A FAILED COMPRESSOR I'M STUMPED. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED THANKS LIONEL WEBRE LULING LA
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.It is very unusual for the high side pressure to be lower than the low side. In fact the low side looks to be normal and if suction line is sweating and the unit is cooling, I suspect a problem with your guage set.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
Can you test your guage set on another unit that is running normally?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
THIS CONDITION IS VERY UNUSUAL, THAT'S WHY I'M LOOKING FOR HELP!!! THE DISCHARGE LINE FROM THE CONDENSING UNIT IS COOL TO THE TOUCH AS WELL. I'VE BEEN AROUND THE BLOCK A FEW TIMES I'VE NEVER EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS. I FEEL THAT IT'S A COMPRESSOR PROBLEM BUT I WANTED TO CHECK AROUND A BIT BEFORE GOING BACK TO MY SUPPLIER. I DON'T WANT TO REMOVE IT UNLESS I HAVE TO. LIONEL
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
You may have a bad high side guage. Is the TD across indoor coil between 15-20 degrees? In other words is the system cooling?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
There are times when you need to go with your gut. If the suction line is sweating, system is cooling and TD is normal, then my gut would tell me I have a problem with my equipment (in this case your guage set).
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
Another thing you could do if you have another guage set you could use, I would try that.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
If the system is cooling and the TD across indoor coil is normal, the compressor would not be bad. Go with the basics: indoor coil TD is normal, suction line is sweating, condenser is displacing warmer air out the top. All these point to a system working normally. In that case my gut would tell me that there is some sort of problem with my guage set. If, however, another guage set gave me the same reading, then I would start to look for other causes. Perhaps the LLSV did not get opened all the way is one thing I can think of. Typically a bad compressor would show equal pressures on both sides.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I NEVER DID SAY THE SYSTEM IS COOLING, THE SUCTION LINE IS COOL AND SWEATING, THE DISCHARGE LINE IS COOL WITH A HI SIDE READING OF 55 PSI.. MY HI SIDE GAUGE IS FINE ALREADY TRIED ANOTHER MANIFOLD SET. THAT LOW SIDE PRESSURE SHOULD BE WELL OVER 200 PSI ON A BRIGHT SUNNY DAY LIKE TODAY. WITH 55 PSI HI SIDE READING NO WAY WILL THIS SYSTEM COOL, AND IT DOESN'T. i'LL CHECK BACK TOMORROW. THANKS
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help here effectively if you don't provide the information I request. It is very difficult to help remotely in a situation like this without being there to see what's going on. I agree we should see a high side pressure slightly over 200 PSI. Also, don't know if you're aware but on the internet using all caps sounds like you're shouting. I want to be able to help, but will need some answers to some of my questions in order to help.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tim, I'm not shouting, it's just easier for me to use caps. I'm not interested in a $24 phone call. I prefer to use this platform to try and resolve this problem. Just list your questions and I'll answer what I can. Thanks Lionel
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
You say the system is not cooling, correct? What is the TD (temp difference) across the indoor coil? Is the air coming out of the top of the condenser warm? You haven't told me what kind of system this is, or what kind of coil. Is it a TEV, cap tube, or orifice metering device.