Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Trying to replace a maple/chase 9620 with a Honeywell rth6350d.

Customer Question

trying to replace a maple/chase 9620 with a Honeywell rth6350d. Wire codes don't agree with instructions. I have 5 wires to mc thermostat as follows : green to C, yellow to Y1, blue to B, red to R, white to W2. Installation guide indicates green to G. Don't want to screw up.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Anything else I can tell the HVAC Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: that
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.The best approach is to go to the furnace or air handler terminal strip and see where what color lead is actually connected to which terminal. Short of that the next best approach would be to follow the terminal designation on the old thermostat. Typical color coding is not always followed. Normally green would be to G which is what would allow you to turn the blower on manually with the fan switch on the thermostat but it's sometimes used when a 24 volt common (C terminal) is required to power the thermostat. Since your old stat is obsolete and specs are unavailable have to rely on my memory. As I recall the 9620 doesn't require a C connection. Are you sure green went to C not G on the old stat. In any event the only way to be sure is to go to the furnace (or air handler) and check.