Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have ruud powervent pvp40se2 in one of my apartments was

Customer Question

I have ruud powervent pvp40se2 in one of my apartments was working fine people moved out and gas was shut off now that the gas is turned back on it wont restart code says flammable vapor sensor so i changed it and it is still the same code and will not ignite any help would be very appreciated
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.If you had an FV sensor lock out the gas valve needs to be reset. Each valve type is different. One type is as simple as turning the power off, waiting a minute then turning it back on again. If that doesn't work then I need to know what you have for a gas valve. Does it have 2 arrows to adjust the water temp? if not a picture of the valve is the best way to tell me what you have. You can post a pic here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it does not have arrows it has a knob that I was told to turn to low after cutting power and then turn power back on and then turn the temperature knob up and down six times and that is supposed to reset it done that several times with no success
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
If this is a newer gas valve with a switch on the front of it you have to turn the dial all the way up and down 7 times within 30 seconds of cycling the power off then back on again.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
tried that and it did not work I have also replaced the complete powervent and circuit board that is right under the powervent fan
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
I need a picture of the gas valve
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
I just double checked the specs for this heater and if you have the gas valve with the dial the 7 times method IS the method for an FV reset with that valve
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I cannot seem to get this picture to show I clicked add file but i could possibly email it
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Ok, I see the pic and it's the valve I expected. Turning the dial up and down 7 times within 30 seconds of cycling the power off then back on is the FV reset procedure for this valve
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
What is the LED flash sequence you're getting?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
one flash space and then seven which seems to be flammable vapor sensor
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
There is no 7-1 flash sequence listed. There's a 7 flash which is an FV sensor lock out. There's also an 8-1 also an FV error but no 7-1. Makes me think you have a bad gas valve. Are you sure it isn't a 6-1 (ignition failure)?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is 8 and 1 faulty fvs circuit so not sure what that means the wires from the flammable vapor sensor are good
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.
Since you already replaced the sensor your remaining options are to replace the wiring harness and if that doesn't work replace the gas valve.