Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a Honeywell model RTH 8580WF thermostat wired to a Ruud

Customer Question

I have a Honeywell model RTH 8580WF thermostat wired to a Ruud Heat pump system. the cooling and heating systems both are not working now. I would like to verify that I have the thermostat wired correctly.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Let me get the wiring configuration to you now, just a moment.........
JA: Anything else I can tell the HVAC Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: Here is how it is presently wired;
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!How do you have it wired? Did you turn power off before starting? Also, did you hook up the C or COM wire?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here is how the thermostat is presently wired: RC terminal=empty, R terminal=R wire installed, O/B terminal=B wire installed, Y terminal=Y wire installed, G terminal=G wire installed, C terminal=C wire installed, L terminal=empty, E/AUX terminal=W2 wire installed, K terminal=empty. Also there are 2 wires presently not connected, an orange wire and a black wire.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
To answer your other questions, power is shut off to the system and the C wire is hooked up.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
Rc and R are usually connected together and the red wire attached. Did you go into the setup menu and set the system type for a heat pump? If not, lets do that. Remember, always power system off when making any wiring changes
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is no RC wire, but the jumper between R and RC terminals is installed, the instructions said to leave it in if both terminals did not have a wire connected.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This thermostat is a replacement for an older conventional thermostat. Could the orange and black wires now have a connection that I am not aware of??
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
If there is a jumper in place at RC-R at the stat, that's good. Leave that there and connect red wire. No, I don't think this would have anything to do with those unused wires as long as they were not connected to old thermostat. Go up to stat, turn the fan switch to fan ON and see if blower works. If not, go down to furnace and most furnaces with a board have a 3 amp fuse installed. See if this is blown.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The blower is not working, is that fuse on the heat pump assy itself??
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
Nope, on the furnace or air handler
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
Also, while down there, confirm all your wiring connections. We should have the same color wires to the same terminals on both the stst and air handler or furnace.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The only thing I see on the Air handler is a 60 amp breaker. I'll take a picture and send it to you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for the delay.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
No, this would be on the air handler BOARD
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
Have to take the outside covers off, locate the BOARD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So, its inside that unit then?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
Yes, there is an upper and lower cover you remove. In this case, since yours is installed horizontally, the covers are side by side.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've got the panel open where the breaker is at, I didnt see any fuses, but I'll take a picture and send it to you.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
Take a close up picture of the board, please and upload
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here are the pics, I hope this is what you are referring to.....
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
The board is the one that has all this thermostat wires attached.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, so the fuse is there?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
If there is one, yes. The majority of boards have a fuse. If not, get a voltmeter , set to "volts AC" and check for 24 volts from R to C on the board.. If there is a blower door switch, it must be pushed in for this reading.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I found no fuse there, so I'll check for the voltage
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Across pins R and C I got a reading of 27.2 volts
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
now check up at the stat from the r or red wire to c. you should also have 24 volts
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That reading is 27.2 volts as well.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
Well, sounds like you have power up there. If noting is working. you either have a loose wiring connection or a bad thermostat
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Now that I think about it, Honeywell did come out with a software update right about the time the system stopped working, I wonder if that may have screwed it up?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
Very possible. You may want to contact Honeywell.Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any more questions.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 11 months ago.
Did you have additional questions on this?