gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

I have a Trane and the fan/condenser unit starts and stops

Customer Question

I have a Trane and the fan/condenser unit starts and stops repeatedly.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Be more specific.
JA: Anything else I can tell the HVAC Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: The heater works fine, the air continues to cool, but the fan/compressor starts, spins for a few seconds and stops, then starts again and then stops and then starts again, and then stops, etc. It seems to be cooling, but the fan will not stay on, but it will not stay off...
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 8 months ago.
Inside fan is running correct. How quick does it shut off after it starts. Model number of outside unit please. Russ
If it is running a few seconds and shutting off sounds like a refrigerant problem and it is cycling on low pressure. The unit has a low pressure protection switch to protect unit from freezing up. Two things that can cause problem. Low on refrigerant or a bad metering device on inside unit. Russ
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How significant are these issues. I believe the issue occurred when the heater was on and it was inadvertently switch to cool without first turning it off. If it is low on refrigerant, is that not a gas and would that not eventually run out completely as it must have a leak somewhere?
Cycling on low pressure is a problem. If it was a slow leak it would just cycle off and on. Eventually just not run because of lack of refrigerant. . If the furnace was running and unit started up it may cycle on high pressure once or twice but would stop and run normally once furnace heat exchanger has cooled down. Need to have the charge checked on system. This will tell you if it is low on refrigerant. Russ
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Maybe I misunderstood, low pressure would be the result of what problem. These units are within three years of installation.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have duel units one for upstairs and one down, one runs fine the other is doing what I told you.
The info you gave me sound like a low pressure problem caused by a leak in system. It can still have a leak in three years. I sell Trane and we have had coil leaking problems on the new aluminum coils. Also it could be bad weld or pipes rubbing together. Leaks happen even in the first year. You will not now until you have charge checked by a technician. Russ
Any leak you have is still covered under a 10 year warranty on parts. Did you get the extended 10 year labor warranty with system. Russ
You have given good info on system operation and ask the right questions. If you have other questions be glad to answer. We can only go so far on line. If you have not had system serviced in three years it is time to have both units checked. All manufacturers recommend having system serviced twice a year. Russ
Anymore questions or any follow up questions. I am always here for you. Russ
Do you have anymore questions. Russ