Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Purge light is flashing JA: I'll do all I can to help.

Customer Question

purge light is flashing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: pipes are all cold, when I panel light off the boiler, the purge light was flashing. I purged it, turned electricity off, shut the slide handles and hooked up garden hose and purged the system and set the zone. hit switch, the boiler kicked on and it just shut off after 2 minutes; repeated the same, boiler started again and shut off after 2 minutes
JA: Anything else I can tell the HVAC Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: nope that's it
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I need the brand and model number of the boiler, 'Purge' generally refers to the boilers induced draft fan coming on before the gas valve is allowed to open in order to prevent ignition when there is any residual gas in the burner compartment. Purge does not relate to any of the boiler water side issues. Tell me also about how old the boiler is, and as much as you can about your technical skill sets so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from there.