Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Honeywell chromotherm III thermostat. I changed

Customer Question

Hi - I have a Honeywell chromotherm III thermostat. I changed the batteries and it registers as working but the heat does not come on. Is there a workaround for connecting the two wires behind the plate?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Basically, it seems as if the thermostat is not communicating with the heater to turn on. Can I remove the top portion and hardwire or connect the two wires on the wall plate?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.It's just as likely you have a problem with your furnace (or boiler). You can rule out the thermostat by connecting the wires on the R & W terminals (usually red & white wires) together. If that turns on the furnace then you have a problem with the thermostat. If it doesn't then we need to look at the furnace and I'll need the brand and model number of the furnace.