airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

The Home was recently struck by lightening and now the heating

Customer Question

The Home was recently struck by lightening and now the heating portion of the system fails to start.
JA: Sometimes, Home, HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: the airconditioner still works
JA: Anything else I can tell the HVAC Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: however the fan blows continuously and does not shut off even when the target temperature is reached by the airconditoner
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 8 months ago.
1.Can you provide model on the furnace or air handler?2.Can you provide model on thermostat3.Can you do some hands on troubleshooting?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes I can
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is a Rheem rgph-07eamgr
Thanks.That will help me with specific information for your situation.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thermostat is a ritetemp
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can't find a model number
Letsstart by looking on control board in furnace and tell me what the led lights on board do, with thermostat OFF and then on call for heat
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When the thermostat off the lights are ***** ***** and Green
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The three lights are labeledFlameOkPWR
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The blower blowsThere is no flameThe indicator lights are unchanged
OK now the Green Power and OK should stay solid green.Amber flame will only come on when burners light. If furnace fails to light,OK green should blink a certain number of times to let us know what failed. Are both staying solid?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All three are staying solid
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
And the flame is not coming on!
Let's do this to make sure thermostat is not the problem. Using a jumper wire or pair of needle nose pliers. locate the thermostat wires where they connect to board. Hold or tape door switch in so we have power and jump R and W together and see if furnace will come onhttp://i.imgur.com/JprQdYv.png.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok need to clean this well enough to see what the letters are
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Stand by
Take your time.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok almost there....
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok the blower comes on but the furnace does not light
Does OK light stay solid or give us a flash pattern?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Lights remain solid
Sounds like the lightning may have got the board.As soon as you call for heat or jump R and W the small vent motor should come on, pull a vacuum on pressure switch, allow igniter and burners to light.If it does not and fails any where along that sequence, the OK light should start flashing a code like 2 blink pause for a pressure switch issue or 3 blinks pause for a limit issue, etc.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there any way to test the circuit card other than what we just did?
We have basically tested it by bypassing thermostat jumping R and W. We should either get ignition or an error code.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok at this point, what do you recommend?
Replace control board
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you recommend a source for the board?
You can order online by part number on board.Let me look it up.
Looks like this board is discontinued from most of the suppliers I usually recommend.Only one who shows available is PLC.http://www.plccenter.com/en-US/Buy/RHEEM/622425702
Never bought from them but here is another site that shows available quiet a bit cheaper.http://www.heatingandcoolingair.com/p-692-rheem-ruud-control-circuit-board-62-24257-02.aspx
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you!
Rheem used several boards so I always like for you to look for that number on your board just to verify. 62-24257-02If you have further questions, please let me know.Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.To rate answer, please select one of the stars below.