HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

My name is ***** *****. I have a Goodman furnace --

Customer Question

Hi -- my name is ***** *****. I have a Goodman furnace -- probably 5-10 years old and no air is coming out when I turn the thermostat on. I'm trying to figure out if the pilot light is off
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes --thanks! The furnace was working great including yesterday all day until sometime in the evening I noticed that it was still set for 64 where we usually set it at, but the house was at 57
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 8 months ago.
Hello I am HVAC GURU, There are no pilot lights on that unit everything is electronic ignition controlled. First see if the FAN runs when you set the thermostat to FAN ON. If it does then get to the furnace and check the control board for a flashing error code. There is a list of LED flash errors on the panel when you take it off see what you find and let me know.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks -- I set the thermostat to fan on about 10 minutes ago and nothing is blowing
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just checking to make sure I'm using this forum correctly...are you still there?
Ok then I would say you may have bad batteries or a blown fuse on the board in the furnace. Check the batteries and replace them in the thermostat if you have them, then get to the control board in the furnace and check the 3-5 amp SLOT FUSE on the board it may be blown. All I ask is please use the star rating system at the top of your page
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are there any safety tips for removing the control panel?
Could my batteries be bad on the thermostat if it is still displaying the temperature and other light indicators are working on it?
They could be low and not enough to trip the unit on or off YES......Just shut the power off to the furnace and remove the upper and lower panels and you will see the board on the unit with all the wires attached. There will be a PURPLE or ORANGE SLOT style AUTO fuse on it pull it off and check it to see if it is burned out.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was just re-checking our breaker panel for the house and while the large labeled furnace breaker was on, there was a small breaker elsewhere on the panel that was tripped -- I flipped it back on and the blower fan immediately kicked on. So I went back to the thermostat and now I set the heat back on, but it isn't coming on. Does that change anything?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have the main furnace breaker off and removed the control panel--I don't see a message panel, but there is a small LED light that was blinking red and now it is constantly red
Ok can you set it to AC and see if the AC comes on? Also if you have the panels off the heat will not come so make sure you have the panels on
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The house is currently 50 degrees, which is as low as the AC can be set, but yes, after I turned the panels back on, the AC just kicked on.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So, the blower and the AC and the thermostat all seem to be working...but no hot air and not sure why the small breaker would have been tripped. Any thoughts?
Not sure it could have just popped at start up, is it working all now?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, the furnace isn't turning on. When I have the fan on auto, there is nothing blowing and no hot air
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the panels are all turned on at this point...the fan turns on when I set it to ON (not auto) and the AC comes on, but not the furnace
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am down by the furnace now and I heard something try to turn on, the red LED light was on, and now it is blinking -- it's not making any noise now
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
now after two minutes or so, it tried to turn back on again and then stopped again -- red light still blinking
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm disappointed with not receiving replies in a more timely fashion. Before I submit a poor review and request my money back, I wanted to notify you and give it one more chance. Thanks.