Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Thermostat JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more

Customer Question

***** *****, thermostat
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am installing a new thermostat for a carrier weathermaker 9200, so I bought rthl2310, to install
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
What is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am installing a new thermostat and the wires diagram asks for red, green, white and yellow and I have red, white, green and blue, which do I connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the system is a carrier weathermaker 9200
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know if it has a heat pump
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You need to refer to the terminal designation on the old thermostat. Color coding is not a reliable method to make your connections. You don't have a heat pump
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Typically the leads would go as follows; red to R, white to W, green to G and yellow to Y but by process of elimination your blue would go to Y. But if you haven't disconnected the old thermostat yet you should refer to how the leads are connected to the old thermostat terminals
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
If you disconnected the old stat already did you label the wires?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shut off power connected blue to yellow and turned power back on just waiting
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, waiting for what? If it's cold where you are you shouldn't turn on the AC. It could damage the condensing unit outdoors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
trying to get heat going, turned switch to heat and the directions said to wait 5 minutes
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Was the heat working before you installed the new stat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, I was just replacing an old thermostat with a newer digital model rhtl
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I need to reset the furnance or no
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Just turn the power back on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did I am waiting for it to start up
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
If the thermostat is calling for heat it should start up once you turn the power back on if you just turned the power off before you started
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the carrier 9200 has an auto ignition could that not be working
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
The inducer fan should start right up once you turn the power to the furnace back on and the new thermostat is calling for heat. I assume you put the batteries in and the thermostat is displaying the time and temp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, I am just waiting for the heat to began, is it possible when I shut off the electricity, it shut something of in the furnance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant off
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
How did you shut the power to the furnace off? It's possible you have a bad switch or breaker. Just shutting the power off to the furnace doesn't "shut something off in the furnace", if that's all you did was turn off the power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned off the main breaker installed the new thermostat and turn the power back on, and then by the instructions I programmed the thermostat and set temp to above what the room currently is
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, try pressing HOLD then set the stat higher than the room temp. If that doesn't get the furnace started (set to heat & fan set to auto) try turning the fan switch on the stat to ON and see if the blower runs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just did that, set for 71 temp shows 61
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Did you turn the fan switch to ON? If nothing happens go to the furnace and look into the viewing port in the blower compartment panel. Tell me if the LED is lit, flashing or is it off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not see anything in the view port
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so I think it is off
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Then there is no power to the furnace. Is the blower compartment door/panel securely in place? Did you turn any else besides the main breaker off? I'm assuming you have power to the rest of the house now the the main breaker is back on. Or do you mean you shut off the breaker for the furnace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned off the main breaker to the whole house to install the new thermostat once I installed it I turned all the power back on
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, what about my other questions Is the blower compartment door/panel securely in place? Did you turn any else besides the main breaker off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I did not turn any other switches off just the main, I have the door off now because the view port was behind the panel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just saw now it is flashing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
What is the flash sequence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know what u mean
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Is it flashing a series of sort and long flashes then a pause then it repeats?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes 2 short 3 long and then a pause
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that's a draft pressure switch failure error. You're going to need to call a pro to fix this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
BTW, this is unrelated to your thermostat change over